Saturday, June 27, 2009

A little gratefulness to GOD and a lot of MULBERRIES


When we first bought our house, we found one lone mulberry tree on our property. Our property was very overgrown, and it was very difficult to see what we actually had. However, we were so excited by this single tree. There was not much left on it because it was the end of the season. My whole family praised God for this one tree. We began fertilizing it and taking extra special care of it. We could not wait for the next season of berries. After the long winter, the buds started to emerge from this wonderful blessed tree. We watched as the green berries also started to form. Were are still praising God for what berries we will get. Little did we know that not only did we have this wonderful little berry tree that Allah had blessed us with, but we also had 49 more of them. We have so many mulberry trees on the property that we cannot possibly pick and eat all of them. We have invited people from our masjid to come pick some this weekend. I hope they will share in our blessed berries. We have really been enjoying them. We eat them right from the tree or we pick a bunch and eat them. We place a blanket under the branches and shake them. This way we get alot at one time. I have made a few sweets with them. The first one pictured with the red on top is called Balooza. It is from Syria. First, you make a milk like pudding. I use a pint of 1/2 and 1/2 cream and a pint of whole milk. I boil it with three heaping spoons of starch. Once it boils, it will thicken, and I add rose water and sugar to my liking. I like it sweet! I then pour them into bowls. They look really pretty in clear glass. I let it cool just a little. I then use any kind of juice you like about 1 pint. I used Sunny D cherry and orange. You also boil it with starch. Once it thickens leave it sit for a bit to cool slightly and then pour it over your white milk mixture. You can then add berries, whipped cream or whatever looks nice to garnish it. Last, place in the fridge for a while to set. The other desert is just the white milk part of the first sweet. It is called Mahalabeeya. You can garnish it with fruit, nuts or whipped cream. I love how it looks almost as much as I love how it tastes. I guess the lesson I learned from my little tree was that my family and I where so grateful to God for this little tree. I believe that Allah sent us more trees filled with berries for our appreciation. I think that when we are grateful for the little things, God will send us BIG things! I also learned that mulberries stain everything! They stain the sink, the clothes and especially your hands. So do not pick mulberries in clothes that are too nice.
































1 comment:

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...

Assallamu'alaikum Wr. Wb.
Hi friend, peace...
Your post very interesting.
If you willing visit my blog, and read my post at http://sosiologidakwah.blogspot.com